You are here

CASTELLO DI VALPERGA

According to legend, the castle was founded during the second half of the 10th century by Dadone, father of King Arduino. The hamlet's fortresses, which date back to the 14th century - a period of major conflict between the Valperga family and the San Martino family, were renovated in the 16th century. But the structure of the fortress changed during the 17th century when the people, brought to their knees from conflict and dying of hunger, took possession of the walls and turned the ditches into fields for farming. It was Cristina di Francia, the unbendable Madama Reale, who put a stop to that and ordered that the walls be cleaned. The original shelter, partially preserved, has the residential rooms which were once used to stockpile food. When, during the second half of the 18th century, the Baron Carlo Giuseppe Coardi di Carpeneto became the owner of the fortress, he had a new wing built next to the original structure. This building, remodeled beginning in 1807, has, overtime, taken on the look of a Neo-Classical villa and is today, a retirement home for the elderly. A tower with a rectangular layout that forms the entrance and the circular towers in the central body are what remain of the oldest part of the castle.

Address 
Via Cesare Battisti 19
10087 Valperga TO
Italy
Telephone 
+39 0124 617146

Visit information

Accessibility

Other services: