You are here


The church, dedicated to Santa Teresa d’Avila, was constructed by the Discalced Carmelites starting in 1642 based on a design by Andrea Costaguta. The plot was donated to the Order by Cristina di Francia and the building work progressed swiftly without, however, the facade being completed. This was then completed in 1764 by Carlo Filippo Aliberti, a disciple of Benedetto Alfieri, inspired by the Juvarrian facade of Santa Cristina. The dome was erected at the beginning of the 19th century and was decorated by Luigi Vacca. The interior is in the shape of a Christian cross with just one nave and three chapels on each side; at the far end of the transept opens up two further chapels designed by Filippo Juvarra, as was the altar of one of these (San Giuseppe). The church was seriously damaged by allied bombings in 1943, causing several parts, including the facade, to be substantially reconstructed.

Via Santa Teresa 5
10121 Torino TO
+39 011538278

Visit information


Other services: