You are here


In 1173, monk Ulderico of the Order of St Bruno’s Carthusian monks, founded the Certosa di Santa Maria di Pesio (St Mary of Pesio’s Carthusian monastery). The monastery soon gained great importance, becoming, for almost six centuries, one of the most important cultural and spiritual centres of Piedmont. After this long period of well-being and prosperity, however, in 1802 the monastery was subjected to raids and plunders by the Napoleonic troops, which forced the monks to abandon it. With the coming of the Restoration, calm returned and the monastery became a hydrotherapeutic centre intended for prestigious guests such as the Savoy Family Princes, Camillo Benso count of Cavour, and Massimo d’Azeglio. After this short interval, in 1934 the building was returned to its religious function, in that still today it provides hospitality for the Missionary Fathers of the Consolata of Torino. Even if it has lost its original medieval appearance, the building has retained its late-Renaissance features. The XI century cloister is especially interesting, with its entrance from the Prior’s chapel. Around the cloister are other buildings of the complex entirely dominated by the high abbey church, which is decorated with frescoes and was built on the remains of the XII century church.

Via Provinciale S. Bartolomeo 17
12013 Chiusa Pesio CN

Visit information


Other services: