You are here

MUSEO CIVICO "CRAVERI" DI STORIA NATURALE

The "Craveri" Civic Museum of Natural History is the most important Natural History Museum in the province of Cuneo and was founded in 1843 as a private natural history museum of the Craveri family. The naturalistic collections of the father Angelo and of the sons Federico and Ettore, who collected many specimens from Mexico between 1840 and 1859, were exhibited on the second floor of their home. In 1890 the Museum was donated by the heirs to the City of Bra.

The Museum consists of twelve rooms arranged on three floors where only a small part of the numerous collections that have been acquired since its foundation are on display. They include minerals, rocks, fossils, faunal and botanical specimens, and prehistoric Saharan artifacts. On the ground floor there are the historical room dedicated to its founders, the Earth Sciences Room and the Local Geopaleontology Room. The second floor is dedicated to Zoology (Hall of Invertebrates, Hall of Insects, Hall of Amphibian Fishes and Reptiles, Hall of Ornithology and Hall of European Avifauna). Several trophies of African ungulates are arranged along the stairs. On the second floor are the Ancient Hall of Ornithological Collections, the Hall dedicated to the Prehistory of Tenerife, the Hall of the Habitats of the Braidese and the Meteorology Room.

Among the most interesting finds are the fossil skull of the Siren of Bra, belonging to the species Metaxitherium subapenninum, which lived in the Mediterranean during the Pliocene and was found by Federico Craveri in 1876 in the hills of Bra, the imperial woodpecker, now extinct, from Mexico, the Craveri's Urietta, a bird from Lower California described for the first time by Federico Craveri, and a rich collection of hummingbirds. The collections are exhibited according to a systematic criterion, with the exception of mammals which are housed in all the rooms.

The museum has a large garden used for events and shows, an Educational Garden for organic cultivation projects carried out with schools and a Greenhouse with an exhibition of succulent plants.

Library

The multimedia scientific library is open to the public for borrowing and consultation and is intended primarily for researchers and university students for research and teaching activities. It contains about 7,000 monographs, numerous popular journals and about 20,000 scientific abstracts and brochures.

Laboratory of Ecology

The Museum is equipped with a modern didactic laboratory in which microscopy activities in the biological field are carried out, as well as chemical and geological activities for schools of all levels.

 

Address 
Via Craveri, 13/15
12042 Bra CN
Italy
Telephone 
0172 412010

Visit information

Availability for group visits
Reservations for groups
Schedule for fixed time visits 
Telephone for group visits 
0172 412010
Telephone for fixed time visits 

Accessibility

Other services:

Bookshop