You are here


The Benedictine Abbey of Fruttuaria was founded at the beginning of the eleventh century by Guglielmo of Volpiano. The Abbey testifies to the historical changes suffered over the centuries, when around the 1400s after a phase of decline it came to its abolition, in 1585 it was transformed into a collegiate church.

Vittorio Amedeo of the Lanze, in 1770, based a project attributed to Bernardo Antonio Vittone and built a new large church whose layout overlaps with the medieval structures. The original building had three aisles cut by a transept on which five apsidal chapels opened to: with the presence of several different altars, the monks had the opportunity to celebrate multiple liturgies at the same time. The walls of the chapels of the transept conserve colorful frescoes with motifs of a faux styled marble.

The altar of the cross is in a central position, representing the fulcrum of the entire religious space and behind it is kept the Rotunda of the Holy Sepulcher, dating back to the early period of construction. The floor area, consisting of a series of mosaics with geometric and animal motifs placed within panels, came to light in 1979. The discovery of the ancient structures has allowed grasping of the complexity of the system and has made a thousand years of history scroll through this building: a cement-iron floor was built to divide the upper church, used for worship, from the lower one, which can be visited through a didactic museum path. The mosaics of Fruttuaria, of Benedictine matrix, turn out to be, like those of Santa Giustina of Sezzadio, among the oldest in the Piemonte (Piedmont) area. In Fruttuaria, where the first king of Italy, Arduino d'Ivrea, withdrew and died in 1015.

Piazza Cardinale delle Lanze
10080 San Benigno Canavese TO
011 9880487 (Associazione Amici di Fruttuaria)

Opening times

First and third Sunday of the month: 15.00-17.00

August: closed

Info +39 011 9880487 – 338 4128795

Ticket prices

Full price 
Free entry 


Reduced price 

Visit information

Availability for group visits
Reservations for groups
Availability for fixed time visits
Schedule for fixed time visits 
Info +39 011 9880487 – 338 4128795 e-mail:
Telephone for group visits 
Info +39 011 9880487 – 338 4128795 e-mail:
Telephone for fixed time visits 
Info +39 011 9880487 – 338 4128795 e-mail:


Notices for disabled 

Info +39 011 9880487 – 338 4128795

Other services: