Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi (Nichelino)

Tel. +39.011.6200634
E-mail: stupinigi@ordinemauriziano.it
biglietteria.stupinigi@ordinemauriziano.it
www.ordinemauriziano.it

Piazza Principe Amedeo, 7 - Stupinigi - 10040 Nichelino (To)

Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi
Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi

Commissioned by Vittorio Amedeo II in 1729 to the First Royal Architect Filippo Juvarra as a hunting pavilion, to be erected on grounds which the Savoy had purchased as early as 1564, the Palace is a characteristic landmark. The architect, inspired by the Roman and old European architectonic traditions, designed a building which has, at its centre, a two-tier elliptical room, with two lateral wings situated along the lines of the hunting paths of the surrounding park; the design is in the shape of a Saint Andrew cross. The direct link with the capital is accentuated by a long tree-lined road into Torino; the road acts as the symmetric axis of the whole area including the Palace, the gardens, the hunting park and the outbuildings. The complex was completed and enlarged during the 18th century by Benedetto Alfieri, Ignazio Birago di Borgaro and Ludovico Bo, who built, respectively, new side buildings destined to be the apartments of Aosta and Chiablese Earls, to the kennels, and to the stables. The completion of the rich interior designing, which wisely exploits natural light and stucco, saw the participation of internationally-renowned artists such as the Valeriani brothers and Crosato. Since 1925, the Palace is home to the Museo d’Arte e Ammobiliamento Storico (Museum of Art and Historical Furniture).

Date of last update: 08/09/2015