Forte di Bramafam
Strada nazionale al Castello - 10052 Bardonecchia (To)
Built on the ruins of a medieval castle between 1874 and 1889 to protect the outlet of the Frejus Tunnel from possible French attacks, the Bramafam Fort has an irregular polygonal shape. Used as prisoner camp during WWI, it was occupied during WWII and, in the end, abandoned in 1945. After years of neglect, the Fort was entrusted to the Association for the Study of Military History and Architecture and definitively restored in 1995. The interior rooms reproduce what fort life was like, while more than 130 mannequins “wear” one of the largest uniform collections of the Royal Army from the years 1885 to 1945.
Date of last update: 15/04/2010