You are in downtown Calamandrana.
Search accommodations nearby.
With all probability, it was the dwarf oak, which in Piedmont’s dialect is called “calamandrina”, to give the name to this village situated high on a hill in the valley of the Belbo. One goes to Calamandrana for different reasons: to enjoy a good glass of wine at the Bottega del Vino (Wine Shop) set up in the striking rooms of the old train station, to taste prized local products, or to visit the interesting historical monuments in the upper part of the town. The little Romanesque church of San Giovanni delle Conche (Saint John of the Valley) dating back to the 12th century with 18th century frescos, the ancient castle with its 18th century look after reconstruction in 1237 following a battle between Asti and Alessandria, and the baroque parish of the Concezione di Maria Vergine (Conception of the Virgin Mary) all stand out.
Via Roma, 83 - 14042 Calamandrana (At)
Tel.: +39.0141 75114 - Fax: +39.0141 75570
Date of last update: 21/12/2009